Now that the NY Yankees are imploding, I'm feeling a little bad
about taking out my frustration over their last string of victories on one of two Yankees fans living under my roof. Believe it or not, I love her despite her allegiance. So let's have some more flattering pictures, shall we? I took these pix two weekends ago on the way to one of King Ludwig's many castles, this particular one on an island in Chiemsee. He moved 9 million bricks by boat to the island, along with untold (or maybe it was told and I wasn't listening) tons of marble, five kilos (or was it 10?) of gold leaf, dozens of 1500-lb (or 500 lb. Whatever) crystal chandeliers, loads of baroque furniture--all for the purpose of replicating the Palace of Versailles in his own little Bavarian backwater. In other words, King Ludwig had way more money than sense, and that, dear readers, was his undoing. The money eventually ran out (50 of the 70 rooms of his palace are unfinished). He was stripped of his crown. He soon thereafter died under mysterious circumstances, having lived all alone in his half-baked palace a mere 10 days. The good people of Bavaria eventually took possession of Ludwig's white elephant, and ever so slowly they continue to recoup their stolen money by charging tourists to come in and gawk. But I digress. Let's go Cincinnati! No, wait...Who are the Yankees playing right now?


Oh, yeah. the palace:
 |
| No cameras allowed inside, otherwise you'd be looking at something interesting, like King Ludwig's night light. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
| Somewhere, over the rainbow, Tobias acquires enough sense not to soak his only set of dry clothes when we are 90 miles from home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment