So, when school finally started (on September 13!), it came as a welcome distraction from the monotony of idle hours and the increasingly annoying presence of my brother (who, for the record, felt the same way about my company).
School was an entirely unexpected experience. My class consists of people from Bosnia, Spain, Romania, the Middle East, Hungary, Poland, Iraq, Bulgaria, Italy, Nepal, and the U.S. Most people speak no German, but the teacher speaks only German. This made for an interesting first couple of days. We started out the first day, by going around in a circle, introducing ourselves in German. I didn't really understand what was going on, but the teacher realized that and said: "Ich heisse Frau Mindl". I said: "Ich heisse Frau Mindl". "Nein, nein, nein" (everyone chuckles). She says: "Ich heisse Hannah". Oh, when I repeated after her, I said 'My name is Frau Mindl'. I repeated a second time ("ja!"), then she says: "Woher kommst du?" What?!?!?! It took me five minutes to figure out that she was asking where I came from. Then the process started all over...
Besides trying to introduce ourselves in a language most of us didn't understand, Frau Mindl gave us supply lists with about 50 things we needed to buy. The list was, of course, written entirely in German, so while Frau Mindl read through the list and jabbered away in rapid German, I stared blankly back. When I got home, though, I made excellent use of Google Translate. When I was finished, I had compiled a list of about 50 items that included: 12 different notebooks (32 pages with lines, but no margins; 16 pages with grids and margins; 16 pages with lines and 3 columns, and on and on), 10 folders, a watercolor set, a fountain pen and ink (What, fountain pens?! What's wrong with regular pens? "Nein, nein, nein, fountain pens only!"), etc. Oy vey!

No comments:
Post a Comment